Sunday, May 27, 2012

The 5th Annual GEeK Awards (2011)


Taking classes for another degree continues to slow my movie-viewing progress. Last year I watched the fewest number of films since I started the GEeK Awards. While I am not necessarily proud of this fact, I do, admittedly have better things to spend my time on lately. The year 2011 saw me take in 42 films that I had not previously rated. I re-watched a number of films already rated, so keep an eye out for my new Re-Viewed Reviews feature coming soon.

If you want to read my review for any of this year's contenders, nominees, and winners look them up on the Find A Film page.

AND THE GEeK AWARD GOES TO...

Some categories were very easy to pick this year, though some of the overall awards gave me trouble. The honorable mentions were particularly difficult to come up with. I suppose this happens when you watch mostly good movies during a year!



Lots of love getting spread around this year for the GEeK Awards. Here a quick breakdown of how it all turned out:

Films Winning 3 Awards:
Sleeping Beauty (1959)

Films Winning 2 Awards:
Amadeus** (1984)
Super 8 (2011)


Films Winning 1 Award:
Eat Pray Love (2010)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows pt. 2 (2011)
The Jungle Book (1967)
Just Go With It (2011)
Raising Arizona (1987)
Rebecca** (1940)
Robin Hood (1973)
Der Untergang [Downfall] (2004)




AND THE NOMINEES ARE...

Despite a low number of films viewed, 2011 saw the fewest number of films eliminated from contention. Only six films didn't make the minimum 3-star requirement for earning nominations.




There were plenty of films snagging multiple nominations. Here are some quick stats about this year's nominees and 2011 in general:

Films with 5 nominations: The Aristocats, The Rescuers, Robin Hood, Sleeping Beauty, The Sword in the Stone
Films with 4 nominations: The Black Cauldron, The Great Mouse Detective, The Jungle Book, Marley & Me, Sliding Doors


The average rating for 2011 films was 3.41
The median rating for 2011 was 3.5

No comments: